Thursday, March 22, 2018

Irish Setter Ornament

For my next project, I created an ornament using the Irish Setter silhouette I created for the Welcome sign.  The setter silhouette was cut out of a Basswood round with the bark still attached.  The ornament is approximately 4" in diameter and about 5/8" deep.  Once complete with the setter cut, I drilled a hole through the top of the ornament and added a piece of jute to hang the ornament.  Afterwards several light coats of shellac were applied and a black felt backer was added to make the setter cut pop.

The ornament could be customized with a woodburned kennel name, dog name, and / or the year to give it a more personal touch.

Here's a side view of the ornament to show the depth of the cut:

Like the ornament?  It will be for sale soon at my Etsy store - stay tuned!

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Cub Scout Plaque #2 - Now with the Cub Scout Logo

Following up on the Cub Scout plaque with the Boy Scouts of America logo, I decided to go for a challenge and create a plaque with the Cub Scout logo.  This required creating a silhouette of the logo and then cutting out some text with a scrollsaw - never an easy task.  There were a total of 18 cuts and the logo was placed so that text could be wood burned on to the plaque.

Handmade Cub Scout plaque

I created the product out of basswood from Michaels.  It hasn't been coated yet, but the final product will be coated with several coats of shellac (after text has been wood burned on).  To finish the piece  a piece of black felt was added to the back of the plaque and a picture hanger was added.  The final product is ~11.5" x 8.5".

Now available on Etsy - order your very own

Friday, March 9, 2018

Cub Scout Plaque

I recently needed to create a plaque to recognize the Committee Chair of our Cub Scout pack. Rather than going with a generic coin or store bought item, I decided to try my hand at creating one.  For this project, I cut out a silhouette of the boy scout logo.  There were a total of 19 cuts (the eagle head is attached through a small piece of wood at the beak).  The text was wood burned.  I printed out the text onto a piece of paper then pressed it into the wood using a pencil.  After getting the character lines, I burned each character by hand.  Unfortunately there was a small knot in the wood right at the top of the number 3.

I created the product out of wood from Michaels and covered it with several coats of shellac.  Afterwards a piece of black felt was added to the back of the plaque and a picture hanger was added.  The final product is ~12" x 9.5".